10.10.2013

"do I know you" interview three: wanda w. and regina z.

Because of the awesome people with which I am facebook friends, there are nearly thirty completed interviews* waiting to be posted, which blows my mind.  Down to the last person each time I read through the answers I think, "I never even knew that about her/him!"  (And there's the point, huh?)  These two interviews were no different.  For this "Do I Know You?", I have the privilege of sharing the interviews of a mother/daughter dynamic duo: Wanda and Regina

I have known these two remarkable women since I was in elementary school.  I'm so thankful to still know them, and I am honored that they would bother with a 20-question interview that pokes and probes a bit so that I could know them better . . . and so you can, too.

Wanda W.
A few words about Wanda: This lovely woman - whom I've always preferred to call "Wandawoman" - is my former middle school pastor (along with her husband, Emory) and the mama to my friend.  She let us wild preteens/teens into her house, and her heart, even though sometimes we tore up both.  I love to hear her laugh.  Until I read her interview answers I never knew the deep hurt she'd experienced in life.  I never knew because the only thing she ever gave me was love, understanding, and hope.  What a picture of grace, dignity, and redemption she is to me.  She is made of some fierce stuff.

On with the interview . . .

1. Occupation?

Receptionist in Dr.'s Office (Family Practice)


2. How did we meet/how do we know each other?
Church  

3. Single or married?

Married


4. What’s the greatest thing about being single or married?

There's someone to comfort you when you need it


5. What was your first vehicle?
Love it or hate it? Why?

Cannot remember what kind, but is was black. Glad to have something to drive, but had no heat or air.  Didn't care too much for it. 

6. Beach or mountains? Why?

Mountains in the fall. Love the beauty and the colors and the mountain air.


7. Darkest time of your life?

I am so much older than you and have had many dark times. Didn't always realize they were dark times until I became an adult and realized every one did not live like that.  I was molested for years as a child.  Parents really never showed any affection. Daddy would beat us at any given moment. Got married at 17 to get away from home. Had two beautiful children and got divorced at 23.  Got remarried and have had a good life. Gave my life to Christ in 1981 and have been blessed with so much. The next big thing was in 2006 when Emory [husband] found he had prostate cancer and during surgery had a stroke. I was not sure how we would make it but I knew God would provide. I surely do not have everything I want but am blessed with everything I need.


8. Happiest childhood memory?
That is a really hard one. I guess I remember when it would snow my daddy would play in the snow with us and build a snowman.


9. What would people be surprised or shocked to know about you?
Emory and I got married only 2 months after our first date, and have been married 34 yrs.


10. What work of art (book, music, etc.) has heavily influenced you? Why?
To Kill a Mockingbird.
It has always touched me about loving all people no matter what race.


11. Favorite place you’ve traveled to? Why?
Lake Tahoe. The beauty of that place made me feel God's hand and beauty and how amazing his creation is.


12. What brought you to the city you live in now? I was born here.

13. What is your favorite trait about yourself? Why? The ability to love and forgive people that have really hurt me in the past.

14. Vintage or brand new? Vintage
 

15. Fill in the blank: It’s quiet and no one is around. I think I will ____________. . . . go lay in the hammock on my back porch.

16. What would you describe as one of your biggest triumphs in life? To truly forgive someone that took your childhood from you and chose to be a Survivor not a Victim forever

17. City or country?
Country all the way

18. If today was your last, what three things would you do? Call James [son] and Regina [daughter] and there families, go to the mountains and have a picnic at a secluded waterfall

19. Fast food or “just say no”? Not often but every now and then.

20. If you got a tattoo (or another one) what would it be? It would be a hummingbird at a flower. Colorful and beautiful.
 


Regina Z.
A few words about Regina: Oh, my friend.  Her answers made me grin and chuckle, shake my head at the shared memories, and tear up.  I've watched from afar Regina tenaciously face this life with courage and grit when it seemed everything was upside-down.  And now I see this picture - the face of a woman I knew as a girl (and I can still see that little girl!) - who has in the past few years had the experience of living in fulfilled dreams that may have easily been snatched away only some short years before, but she wouldn't let them go.  I revel in her joy and this life she's been blessed with.  I think she deserves it!

On we go . . .
1. Occupation?
Accountant/Bookkeeper at UGA

2. How did we meet/how do we know each other?Our Dad’s were pastors at LFF [church]; can’t remember the exact year, but it seems like I’ve known you all my life. We always had the same taste in boyfriends…lol…I’m sure we passed a few back and forth in middle school…there weren’t that many at church to choose from. There is not a lock-in, choir tour, ensemble, Valentine dance, camp, etc. that we don’t have some kind of over-lapping story. (You, me, Kane, Mike R., Angie A., Roslyn, Amber, Shelby, Josh S., I know I have left lots off, because I am getting OLD!)

3. Single or married? Happily married…finally! LOL

4. What’s the greatest thing about being single or married? Having an actual partner to share my life with.

5. What was your first vehicle? Love it or hate it? Why? Red Pontiac Sunbird….loved it!

6. Beach or mountains? Why? Both, I love the sound of the ocean and the breeze, but also love the mountains especially in the fall. Brings back great childhood memories.

7. Darkest time of your life? Whew! That’s hard…divorcing my high school sweetheart at 30 years old…that sucked!

8. Happiest childhood memory? I do have some right? My grandfather singing “How Great Thou Art” as he rocked me to sleep, Pink Panther pancakes, and summertime spent playing outside with ALL my cousins (we all lived, and still live, in a “square mile”)

9. What would people be surprised or shocked to know about you? I’m pretty transparent, not sure that I have any surprises….
10. What work of art (book, music, etc.) has heavily influenced you? Why? There is a Karen Kingsbury series that begins with a book called Redemption.  This was given to me during a very hard time in my life and although it is fiction it is a biblically-based series about true family struggles and throughout it, God gives this family strength.  There is an old hymn that resonates through the entire series and I cry every time I sing/hear it….”Great is Thy Faithfulness”

11. Favorite place you’ve traveled to? Why? Jamaica. I went on a missions trip in middle school and I can remember it being a very happy time and life-changing experience.  I would love to go back and hope to one day!

12. What brought you to the city you live in now? Duh! Born and raised here and all of my family is still here…kinda boring, huh?

13. What is your favorite trait about yourself? Why? True honesty. Honesty makes my life easy and allows others around me to see me for who I am and I don’t have to pretend. My motto is “You may not like it, but it WILL be the truth”…don’t mistake this for brutally honest…I do try to say things out of love and not be hurtful to others.

14. Vintage or brand new? Not sure I’m into “vintage” but I love” hand-me-downs”.  I am frugal/cheap so I totally shop consignments and thrift stores!

15. Fill in the blank: It’s quiet and no one is around. I think I will ____________. Take a nap…maybe I’m saying this today because I am a sleep-deprived mother of a 4month old.

16. What would you describe as one of your biggest triumphs in life? Surviving circumstantial depression and learning to let go of past hurtful experiences so that I can move on in life and be successful in my close relationships.

17. City or country? Hands-down country
18. If today was your last, what three things would you do? (a) I would write/video a message for my husband and son to know how much they are loved and how much I prayed for them (b) I would give away all of my savings to help families who are struggling (c) I would throw a party and invite everyone to come without worrying about the cost or mess.

19. Fast food or “just say no”? Just say NO…wait, is Barberitos fast food?

20. If you got a tattoo (or another one) what would it be? No tats…thought about it once during a time of rebellion, but not really me.  Can’t think of anything I would want there forever!

*The only edits I will make to any of the interviews in the series is correction of misspelling/typos, because really, nobody likes a typo. Except maybe this one:


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:02:00 PM

    Good stuff on 2 great ladies.

    D

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Please leave one for me here.