10.17.2013

"do I know you" interview six: k-row

I'm going to say it again - since it's my blog and it's the only place I can't be interrupted (well, the internet could go down or my computer could break or blogger could inexplicably stop working . . . okay, I could be interrupted but it's still MY BLOG!) - I love these 20-question interviews.  And I love today's: Karen G., affectionately known to me as K-row.

 
A few words about Karen: We met in the same way Frankie and I met, through a facebook group in our area.  It was kind of golden because there was this handful of us that clearly had the same funky, eclectic taste and got each other's sense of humor.  We didn't all of the sudden become best friends, but it's been so nice to genuinely enjoy one another. I genuinely enjoy Karen, and the rare occasion in which I get to see her out and about always leaves me feeling good. Karen always makes me smile and is quick to laugh.  She's clearly brilliant, and at the same time so charmingly disarming.  Karen is one of the women I love and appreciate because it seems there's little to none of the phony female facades we fall so prey to putting up of perfect homes and children and marriages and careers.  There are messes and mistakes and much joy in the midst.  I've never seen Karen in anything but a vintage-y dress, and she named her daughters Daisy and Clementine.  What could be better than that?

Now on to her words . . . 
    

1. Occupation?
 
Instructional Coach and Grad Student
 
2. How did we meet/how do we know each other? 
Through the swap group (and I wonder how many of your respondents will say the same - It's amazing what great people we met through that group)
 
3. Single or married?  
Married
 
4. What’s the greatest thing about being single or married? 
Being married to the most supportive man on the planet. Having him be a role model for my girls. And he still looks dang foxy when he drums.

5. What was your first vehicle? Love it or hate it? Why?
 
Don't even remember. Doesn't speak highly of the vehicle.

6. Beach or mountains? Why?
Mountains. Better weather, better clothes.

7. Darkest time of your life?
After an ectopic pregnancy that took months to resolve. Betrayed by my doctors, struggling with infertility. It was hard on my marriage and especially on myself.

8. Happiest childhood memory?
Taking a mattress off our bed and riding it down the stairs. 

9. What would people be surprised or shocked to know about you?
Hmm, not sure. That I married a republican?

10. What work of art (book, music, etc.) has heavily influenced you? Why?
Music, definitely. All phases of my life. It shaped my friendships from 4th grade on. Influenced all my friends in high school and college. I ended up opening a club, a highlight of my life. And it is the therapy that sustains me. Any moment that calls for empowerment or general badassery requires a listen to Joe Strummer. In fact, through the entire 40 hour labor with my second daughter, I listened to Joe Strummer in one form or another (The Clash, The Mescaleros, his solo work, etc.)

11. Favorite place you’ve traveled to? Why?
Ireland. My mom is from there. It was the first place I ever traveled on my own. I biked all around the country. It developed a sense of independence and resilience and a connection to family history that is unmatched ever since.

12. What brought you to the city you live in now?
College in '89. Never left. 

13. What is your favorite trait about yourself? Why?
I love to learn. I take this one to a ridiculous level. 

14. Vintage or brand new?
Vintage.

15. Fill in the blank: It’s quiet and no one is around. I think I will __________.
. . . listen to music. 

16. What would you describe as one of your biggest triumphs in life?
Finding the courage to ditch a PhD program that was not right for me. 

17. City or country?
I like both.

18. If today was your last, what three things would you do?
Spend it with my family. Drink an iced americano. Take some pictures. 

19. Fast food or “just say no”?
Ugh, I was just thinking today about how I *never* used to eat fast food, but the past two years I've started. Going from work to class, it's my staple. Blah. 

20. If you got a tattoo (or another one) what would it be?
I wouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Please leave one for me here.