10.25.2013

"do I know you" interview nine: laura m.

It's really easy for me to keep putting up interviews. For one thing, I got a great response from so many terrific facebook comrades when I asked if they'd be interested in being interviewed that there's no way I could get them all up this month even if I posted one a day. Every single one is my favorite. For another thing, I just don't get tired of learning new things about people, scratching away a little of the surface and digging deeper.  I think everybody has a story to tell. Everybody.

It's really easy to love these interviews.
It's not really easy, however, to be the one answering the questions.

I gather there's been a range of emotion from these friends willing to answer my twenty questions.  Some send back their responses with smiley faces or signs of relief that they got it over with.  More than a few have written back that tears sat right at the surface - a few tears pouring over - while they thought, remembered, looked ahead, answered.  Other ones just sent their answers right back without much commentary at all.  In whatever way they came back to me, I don't take any of them lightly.

It's simple to ask questions.  It's not necessarily simple to drop a guard, to allow a view into a private life, into memories, into personal opinions and preferences, into highs and lows, into thoughts and feelings.  I think it takes a measure of courage.  Maybe for some it takes no more courage than facing down an earthworm on the sidewalk.  But maybe for another it takes as much courage to answer as it would to walk a tight rope across a ravine.  Either way, I appreciate it.

And I don't take it lightly. 

Today I want you to meet Laura M.  I'm so glad she answered.  Laura's shown no lack of courage in answering these questions, and when we wrote back and forth her only concern was that the facts of her answers would be a bit much for people.  They're real life answers from her very real experiences.  I'm so thankful she courageously allows me to share it.

It's easy to love these interviews. I don't take them lightly.

Everybody has a story to tell, and we should listen.
A few words about Laura: Laura and I met when we were middle school girls.  My first memory is how beautiful she was.  I shake my head today at how much she still looks like that girl I met 20+ years ago. Laura and I had some mutual friends and because of that had some times that we were able to hang out together. I remember she was kind. I remember most of the boys thought she was stunning. I remember some of the girls - in tragically typical fashion - acted catty and jealous and like the juveniles they were. But I remember Laura was kind, and my time with her never left any other impression. A few years ago when we found each other on facebook I felt genuinely glad to be reconnected.  And though it's limited, all of my interaction with her via facebook since then has left me, still, with no other impression than the loveliness of her gentleness, her kindness, her sincerity, and her transparency. Her interview is no different. From her answers it's clear that Laura was living experiences far different than my own, and harder than I would've wanted to believe as we were growing up. Now I know that she has survived and now thrives, and I'm so glad for her. I am grateful to know her.  Truly, I am.

Please meet Laura . . .

1. Occupation?

Stay at home mama of 4 (18,16,12 and 7 years old), nanny of twin 16-month-old boys and their 3-year-old big sister! Full time cook, house cleaner, taxi driver, tutor, boo-boo fixer, counselor, spill-cleaner-upper, cheerleader, finder of lost things, wiper of tears, event planner. Wife to a great man, my best friend of 18 years! 

2. How did we meet/how do we know each other?

We met at church

3. Single or married?

Married

4. What’s the greatest thing about being single or married?

It has made me the person I am! Marriage is hard, but sooo worth it! 

5. What was your first vehicle?  Love it or hate it?  Why?

Jeff [husband] bought me my first car.. White Honda Civic ! Loved it! It represented freedom to me! 

6. Beach or mountains? Why?

Definitely beach. I'm a sun worshiper! Hate to be cold! Love clear beach water.

7. Darkest time of your life?

I have a couple... Cutting ties with my crazy adopted family at age 19. Jeff had an affair when Kendall [daughter] was 4 and Jake [son] was 2. Jeff got recalled after 9/11 for two years. Kendall was 6, Jake was 4, and Candler [daughter] was 6 months. My drinking got out of control and I had an affair. 

Jeff and I have had a lot against us, but I'm so very grateful we have made it work! We rededicated our marriage on November 14, 2012.

8. Happiest childhood memory?

Being with my wonderful mamaw.

9. What would people be surprised or shocked to know about you?

I am such an open book, I don't hide anything! I'm a sinner, I've screwed up, but I'm a better wife, friend, and mama because of it. 

10. What work of art (book, music, etc.) has heavily influenced you?  Why?

The book Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers . I totally was the character in the book. Named my forth child Sarah after the main character.

11. Favorite place you’ve traveled to? Why?

It would have to be Disney World because I have sooo many memories with my kiddos there.

12. What brought you to the city you live in now?

Jeff is a builder. He built our house, but we both grew up where we live. 

13. What is your favorite trait about yourself?  Why?

My grace and compassion for people hurting, especially children. I know what abuse feels like. I know what not feeling good enough feels like. I love to make someone genuinely feel wanted and loved.

14. Vintage or brand new?

Both! Love something new, but love something well-worn and comfortable.

15. Fill in the blank: It’s quiet and no one is around.  I think I will __________.

. . . sit on my back porch with my green tea and call my best girl friend.

16. What would you describe as one of your biggest triumphs in life?

Staying married and truly making it work; making it good because we both became better people. Raising 4 amazing children! Overcoming my past.

17. City or country?

City girl.

18. If today was your last, what three things would you do?

I can only think of one thing I would do . . . Be with Jeff, Kendall, Jake, Candler, and Sarah Kate [daughter].

19. Fast food or “just say no”?

Both. I often need my Chick Fil A fix!

20.If you got a tattoo (or another one) what would it be?

Psalm 18:19 (He brought me forth also into a broad place; He rescued me, because He delighted in me.)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:38:00 PM

    What an honest and sweet post. God bless this family.

    I love you Jessica.

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Please leave one for me here.